Saturday, November 26, 2011

Bing Crosby

Bing Crosby (1903-1977)


Bing Crosby had a long sucessful career in both music and movies. He is one of only 22 who have 3 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

When I think of Bing Crosby only one thing comes to mind. 'White Christmas'. I remember watching the movie always around Christmas time at my Grandparents house. A family friend once said that he was on the boat to fight in the Battle of Iwo Jima when he first heard the song 'White Christmas'. So the nice pleasant song always brought back bad memories for him.


Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye in the movie, 'White Christmas'



Album cover for the song 'White Christmas'



I visited the gravesite of Bing Crosby on October 2, 2011. It was a last minute thing. The Hollywood Bus tour that we took, took longer than expected. I knew that we wouldn't make it to Forrest Lawn Glendale Cemetery like I hoped. So I checked to see what other cemeteries might be closer to our hotel. Luckily, Holy Cross Cemetery was only 8 minutes away from the hotel. So we made it there at 5pm, With them closing at 6. I found on the same website that helped me find John Waynes gravesite, a page on Holy Cross Cemetery. Bing Crosby was the first grave that we found. We would also find the graves of Rita Rayworth, Sharon Tate, Lawrence Welk, and director John Ford before we left. We made it into the masoleum that John Candy is buried in, but we set off an alarm and had to leave before we could find him. 


Gravesite of Bing Crosby, Holy Cross Cemetery Culver City, CA

My sister at the gravesite of Bing Crosby

No comments:

Post a Comment